Re: On building everything from source.

[Offlist]

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:

> I would welcome something like "The maintainer
> decides, and can be overruled by the Technical Comittee if needed".

That is what we have now, as usual other contributors will obviously
question decisions made where they consider them bad.

For example the firmware-linux-free maintainer chose to ship prebuilt
firmware instead of building it from source and I strongly disagree
with that.

> the unpredictability of when a source package goes to NEW (that is,
> when the list of binary packages changes),

That is entirely predictable and under the control of the Debian
package maintainer since it only changes when the maintainer updates
debian/control.

> (since it contains things that would not be accepted anymore)

This is inevitable since Debian maintainers aren't always aware of
upstream dev practices or don't check things well enough (cf #383465).

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise