Re: GnuTLS in Debian

On mer, dic 25, 2013 at 01:36:13 -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > Has anyone asked the Git maintainers whether they object to their software
> > being linked with a libcurl that uses OpenSSL?
>
> I am not the author of the most of Git.  As a minority author:
>
>  - libcurl provides a quite similar API with OpenSSL as with GnuTLS.
>    I wish it provided a compatible ABI.

Different SONAMEs/symbols for different TLS providers is done so that things
that shouldn't, don't get linked against the wrong libcurl flavour (this has
been the case way before I became the curl maintainer).

It can be disabled though, but 1) if all the libcurl versions provided the same
*.so.X.Y,Z files, it'd make it impossible to install different versions at the
same time (e.g. libcurl3 + libcurl3-gnutls) and 2) all libcurl reverse depends
would have to be rebuilt.

Cheers

--
perl -E '$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'