Re: Debian XDG basedir compliance

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 07:17:32PM +0200, Olе Streicher wrote:
> What are the status, the pros and cons here? Is there an attempt to get
> the XDG somehow into the Debian policy?

There is no active Debian effort to make all our packages to conform
to the XDG directory spec. It is my understanding that the consensus
within Debian is that it is beyond our scope, and is something that's
best done by our upstream projects directly. That way, the results
would be shared by all users of the programs, instead of just the
Debian users of those programs. Having Debian versions of the programs
differ in this from everyone else would create a lot of confusion, and
needlessly cause everyone more support burden than is needed.

Please do contribute to any upstream projects that interest you to add
support for XDG, but don't try to make it mandatory in Debian.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers