Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

On 22/10/13 21:27, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Some people have been trying to identify small sets of essential
> packages already, in the context of bootstrapping an architecture[1].  I
> wonder if that's likely to overlap with this?  It encompasses toolchain
> and essential arch-specific packages.

I had a play with the 'botch' tool (see description[1]) for determining
build order when bootstrapping an architecture.

To start off with it determines a minimum required set of packages -
you'd normally cross-compile those from another system.  This set (see
attached example list for kfreebsd-amd64 wheezy) looks to me like what
constitutes the 'toolchain'.

The list will be different for each port, and change over time.  This
example included freebsd-libs, freebsd-utils and kfreebsd-kernel-headers
but of course others won't.

AIUI those packages should be able to rebuild each of themselves without
any other dependencies.  I think doing that regularly would be a good
health check for a port's toolchain.  Probably these packages would be
the focus of the reproducible-builds project, at least from a security
point-of-view.  Any differences in output of subsequent builds are of
interest, and would potentially reveal when significant changes or bugs
were introduced too.

[0]: https://gitorious.org/debian-bootstrap/botch
[1]:
http://blog.mister-muffin.de/2013/01/25/bootstrappable-debian---new-milestone/