Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)

Bastien ROUCARIES writes ("Re: Longer maintainance for (former) stable releases of Debian (Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian)"):
> Le 27 août 2013 19:32, "Ian Jackson" <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> a
> écrit :
> > Worse: in practice, removing packages is invisible to the users and
> > their package manager.  The `removed' packages just remain,
> > vulnerable, on the users' systems.
>
> Why not un this case creating an empty package depending of an non existing
> package ?

Because we should leave the user the choice to keep using the
unsupported software, rather than ripping it out from under them.

Ian.