new hashes (SHA512, SHA3) in apt metadata and .changes files?

I noted[1] that some derivatives have introduced SHA512 into their
Release files (and probably Packages/etc). I was wondering if it is
time to drop or deprecate MD5 from the apt metadata and replace it
with SHA512 and or SHA-3. Thoughts?

If so, here is the list of software that probably needs updating:

dak
apt/apt-ftparchive
reprepro
launchpad
dpkg-dev
devscripts
derivatives census

Side note; is there an SHA-3 shared library yet?

Side note; is SHA512 accepted/checked by apt in Release files yet? If
so it would be great if the spec at [2] could be updated for that.

1. http://dex.alioth.debian.org/census/*/check-package-list
2. https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat

--
bye,