Re: Berkeley DB 6.0 license change to AGPLv3

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 04:29:21PM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,
>
> would FOSS Exception similar to
> http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/ fix the
> relicensing problem?
>
> If so, I will propose Oracle developers to add the FOSS Exception to
> Berkeley DB licensing.
>
> The MySQL FOSS Exception doesn't include 4-clause BSD, so it still might
> bar some software to create derivative works with Berkeley DB, but the list
> would be considerably shorter. Or they will need to add the 4-clause BSD
> license to the exception list.

Notably, it's also missing the GPL version 2.  This isn't a problem for
MySQL, since it's already GPLv2, but there's probably quite a bit of
software that is GPLv2 that uses Berkeley DB.  Also, there is a wide
variety of BSD licenses that are incompatible, as you've pointed out.

Personally, I think the easiest and best solution is simply to stick
with Berkeley DB 5.3.  It avoids all the pain of relicensing and the
inevitable licensing bugs that *will* show up.  Not to mention that some
upstreams will be unamused at Oracle's shenanigans and won't want to
support BDB 6.