Re: ITP: foreman -- manage Procfile-based applications

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Faidon Liambotis <paravoid@debian.org> wrote:
> On 06/10/13 03:46, Per Andersson wrote:
>>
>> * Package name    : foreman
>>    Version         : 0.63.0
>>    Upstream Author : David Dollar <david@dollar.io>
>> * URL             : http://github.com/ddollar/foreman
>> * License         : MIT
>>    Programming Lang: Ruby
>>    Description     : manage Procfile-based applications
>>
>>   Foreman is a manager for Procfile-based applications. Its aim is to
>> abstract
>>   away the details of the Procfile format, and allow you to either run
>> your
>>   application directly or export it to some other process management
>> format.
>

> There's a more popular/more complicated piece of software called Foreman[1],
> for which there's an RFP already[2], as well as a component of that,
> foremancli, already in Debian. Upstream provides a package too, although you
> could argue it isn't our problem if there's a naming conflict.

I saw this but decided to ignore it for now since there hasn't been any activity
with Foreman in over a year. If the name conflict arise in Debian it is a pretty
small matter to change it then I think. I.e. Foreman[1] renaming to
theforeman as
the upstream web page or this foreman renaming to ruby-foreman or some such,
it is not a big thing IMHO.

> Nevertheless, I think it'd be best to avoid a package naming conflict
> between the two apparently completely unrelated applications.

I agree.

> Oh, and BTW, you should probably explain what a Procfile is on the long
> description of your package as it's not immediately obvious.

I will add this.

Thanks for taking the time to make Debian better!

Best,
Per