Re: default MTA

On 12-06-13 16:59, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:38:28 +0100, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 08:00:17AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>>> To this exim expert, configuring exim is done as follows:
>>>
>>> zcat /usr/share/doc/exim4/examples/example.conf.gz > /etc/exim4/exim4.conf
[...]
> I violently object to people recommending this to novices.

Yes, me too. It only works for me because I know exim pretty well, and
then the single-file approach is more transparent than any approach
involving generated files.

However, it's a large file containing many details which are
uninteresting to users who want a simple system. In that case, an
abstraction layer is a good thing.

That being said, personally I *do* recommend that people with less
common needs read the excellent exim documentation and start off the
example.conf file; if your needs are uncommon, making the investment to
learn how exim works pays off a lot more than trying to twist an
abstraction layer into doing things it wasn't meant to do. And once you
do know how it works, any abstraction layer (IMO) just gets in the way.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/