Re: On accepting pre-generated doc from upstream

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> Building the full doc could be done in two ways:
>
> - Using the full source tarball. Saddly this means having to compile most of
> it in order to get the tools for building the doc, or hacking far too much the
> build system to do something else.
>
> - Build each submodule's doc.

The problem with using the pre-packaged documentation instead of
building it, however, is that you'll have to constantly check that the
pre-packaged documentation actually matches the source that Debian is
distributing.

Not to mention the fact that it makes it far more difficult to accept
Debian-specific packages (or upstream patches) to the documentation if
the packages do not actually build the documentation.

I learned really early the difference between knowing the name of
something and knowing something
 -- Richard Feynman "What is Science" Phys. Teach. 7(6) 1969