Re: Default desktop for jessie Was: Re: Debian/Wheezy general rant ...

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 09:13:50PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:11:49PM +0200, Bjoern Meier wrote:
> [...]
> > Ok, an example. my Girlfriend was really pissed of Win8. She hate it
> > (for good reasons). She came to me and asked:"Can you show me Linux
> > and how it works?". I sweat blood, but I took my honor.
> > After a successful install she said:"That's not Linux. The button on
> > the left has no K."
> [...]
>
> This is a good example of why providing choices can be unhelpful.  If
> someone doesn't know that there are multiple desktop environments
> available and what the differences are, how will they choose when
> prompted to do so?  Maybe they will go and do the research when they
> reach that point in the installer, or maybe they will try a different
> distribution whose installer JFDI.

For a non-technical user, different desktop environments, at least
full-blown ones, are for practical purposes whole separate operating
systems.

On the other hand, if you don't know what an init daemon or a MTA is, you'll
be served well with whatever is the default.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ