Re: Default desktop for jessie Was: Re: Debian/Wheezy general rant ...

hi,

2013/6/6 Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk>:
> On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 08:34:35AM +0200, Bjoern Meier wrote:
>> 0hi,

>> > Oh, good idea. /me files a package removal request on vim. Better alternatives
>> > (emacs) exist, and we don't need more than one text editor around. Linux isn't
>> > about choice!
>>
>> That's the point: setting any default software is making a choice for
>> others. Is Linux about that?
>
> Linux isn't 'about' anything.  And you just took away my choice of
> kernel. :-)

Linux isn't about anything? That hurts. Linux gave me back my PC.
Linux gave me knowledge. Linux gave me possibilities. That's what
linux is about.

>> Someone will install a desktop? Fine. Ask him which one, not setting a
>> default one. THAT is a choice.
>
> Choose at the download page.
>
> If you present all important alternate packages at installation time,
> then we have:
> - init system
> - desktop environment
> - mail server
> - text editor
> - /bin/sh
> - high-level package manager, apt vs cupt vs dselect
> - wait, what if I wanted to install RPMs?
> - and how rebuilding packages with my chosen optimisations?
> ... where do we stop?

Freedom is not only that you have a choice, you have to know what your
decision and the consequences will be.
Unmanageable? Really?

I done LFS a weeks ago, was that unmanageable? No. It's not. Yeah
Debian is not LFS, but I rember the install-process on potato. That
wasn't unmanageable, too.
But I take your point. We could not handle all free will AND privide
an runnable OS. But a desktop is not a re-install about 5 minutes, it
changes a System the whole way.

If I had something to say, Debian had a minimalistic ISO, which could
be customize and the config could be saved on the website. Like a
Restaurant (but more like home) you could order "À la carte" or
reassemble your own Debian.  then you downloaded an ISO with the
selection and your system will be installed per mirrior. I'm just
dreaming ;)

Greetings,
Björn