Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

On 05/28/2013 04:33 PM, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

Hi,
we need to change the way security fixes are handled for Mozilla in
stable-security. The backporting of security fixes is no longer
sustainable resource-wise.

As such, we'll switch to releasing the ESR releases of iceweasel and
icedove in stable-security.

One thing to be careful of in this regard:

The Firefox developers are intentionally dropping some features from the
main browser, for one reason or another. As far as I recall none have
been dropped yet, but several are in the pipeline.

Leaving aside any debate about whether this is a reasonable thing to do,
it means that moving from one ESR major release version to the next may
result in potentially significant functionality change - which, AFAIK,
is something we try to avoid with package updates in a stable release.

I don't have a problem with packaging the ESR in general, and if a given
ESR major release is in stable, I think it makes sense to ship the
associated minor/micro releases as security updates for stable as they
come out (since security fixes is generally what they are).
Transitioning between ESR major release versions, however, may well
warrant more care.

--
   The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
  - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger