Re: systemd .service file conversion

On 06/01/2013 04:48 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 12:42:33 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
What's the point in doing that work
when, in the end, hardly anyone is using it?

Freedom. It is not free to take away freedom just because too few
people have chosen to exercise freedom.

So, because a very few people want to choose a rather unusual
setup - which again even you as a strong proponent of it aren't
using - all of the developers should do extra work instead of
working on things which they like? Isn't that limiting the freedom
of the developers as well?

No one is taking away your freedom if we make decisions on
certain default configurations. If, for example, we chose
systemd as the default init system, no one would keep you
from using your init system of choice by changing from the
default one after installation.

Similar decisions are made in other projects as well. The
Linux kernel dropped support for the original i386 CPU
recently and, code for support DECnet has been orphaned
as well, meaning it might be removed in the near future.

It's still free software, so you can do whatever you want.
It just sometimes makes sense to make pragmatic decisions
in order to guarantee well maintained code and efficient
release cycles. Again, it's not worth the effort when,
in the end, hardly anyone is using it.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz