Re: systemd .service file conversion

On 30/05/13 16:30, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> 2013/5/30 Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>:
>> The /etc/ /lib/ /usr/lib/ split with files overriding each other,
>> invented because RPM systems do not prompt the user on package upgrades
>> and Red Hat does not support upgrading to the next major release.
> Well, that might have been one reason, but splitting the conf files
> has other advantages too. I like that I have the original file as
> reference, that I have very small config-override files which can
> easily be backed up, and it also simplifies updates, because I don't
> have to merge diffs of config files, but just need to adjust them
> later, if something has changed.

I prefer to be notified of changes to configuration files during upgrades so
that I know which configurations need updating, rather than just hoping that
the old config will work with the updated package and missing out on any new
options silently introduced in a master configuration file which I can't
even easily diff for updates.

Roger