Re: Debian systemd survey

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> When the source of the configuration is debconf, we know exactly when
>> it changes and don't need anything like inotify to know when to rebuild
>> it.

> Disagreed, one can change a debconf-generated file manually, thanks to
> the debconf-is-not-a-registry mantra and the demand that a debconfed
> package needs to read in its configuration before presenting the debconf
> questions.

Correct, which is why I went on to address exactly that question in the
rest of the message to which you are responding.  Because the upstart and
systemd configuration is much more easily parsable and suitable for use
directly as a configuration file due to much simpler structure than init
scripts, we can use it as the repository for configuration data and parse
it in the maintainer scripts to preserve that behavior.