Re: Debian systemd survey

Josselin Mouette writes ("Re: Debian systemd survey"):
> Le mercredi 22 mai 2013 à 15:05 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > There certainly have been cases of fd.o changes being dropped into
> > Debian without dealing with the integration questions.  mime ->
> > .desktop is a prime example of this.  .desktop is clearly far
> > superior - but that doesn't mean it's ok to drop the existing
> > stuff on the floor.
>
> This is a perfect example of how hard it is to make Debian as a whole
> evolve. We have kept the old mime-support entries for a long time, until
> just a handful of widespread packages remained to use them, based on the
> promise that one day, mime-support would use desktop entries. Yet it
> took provocative measures, such as removing widely used entries, to make
> it finally happen for real, because otherwise there was no incentive on
> the people who were interested to make it happen.

I see this quite differently.  The problem was that you didn't want to
do the work required to transition properly, and instead decided to
try to bounce everyone into dropping the old machinery entirely.

Indeed that's why you were overruled by the Technical Committee, who
clearly don't agree with your interpretation of the situation.

Ian.