Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 03:42:06PM +0200, Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
> Le vendredi 17 mai 2013 15:36:02, Julien Cristau a écrit :
> > On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 14:14:20 +0200, Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
> > > Also, it wouldn't help for the case of a binNMU on a subset of all arches
> > > since only some of them would have the entry. The solution proposed by
> > > ansgar cover this case.
> >
> > No it doesn't.  dpkg will still refuse to install a m-a same package at
> > different versions.
>
> Yeah, right. Thanks for correcting me. The sentence should instead be "it
> would automatically cover this case if dpkg behavior was changed in this
> regards". But if I remember well there was some opposition to this idea.
>

> > Cheers,
> > Julien

There are 2 issues:

1) the changelog differs
2) the version differs

(1) would be fixed by the changelog being identical across all binNMUs.

(2) would be fixed if dpkg ignores the binNMU part of versions.
Although that has pitfals too.

But there is a 3rd issue that would remain: 1.2-3 and 1.2-3+b1 have
different changelogs.

Making the binNMU changelog identical across archs would be a quick
fix for part of the problem. But only a part.

MfG
	Goswin