Re: jessie release goals

On 13-05-13 06:16, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Philip Hands wrote:
>
>> I don't know about you, but I find it quite reassuring to be able to
>> confirm that the first half of an install is going pretty well when I
>> get to see the "useless" dummy page from Apache.  I'd imagine someone
>> installing their first web server would also find that reassuring (I
>> still remember grinning broadly when first seeing it).  If it were also
>> their first Debian server, then forcing them to find an extra ON switch
>> after installing apache just seems like an extra and unneeded barrier.
>
> I think it would be better for apache to ask via debconf which vhosts
> you want to setup and which directories/configs/etc they should use.

No. Absolutely not.

Configuring a daemon through debconf is useful only for the most simple
of daemons. I did it for nbd-server, and am starting to regret that
decision.

For apache, you'll need to fine-tune the configuration in almost every
case, which will then cause annoying UCF prompts at every upgrade.

>> The "should it run on install?" question is a matter of taste and
>> judgement, which is why it is not the case with rsyncd.
>
> We have debconf to resolve matters of taste.

There is such a thing as overuse of debconf.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/