Re: jessie release goals

Philip Hands wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre writes:
> > I agree for these services (though Apache is useless after just
> > being installed, as one just has a dummy web page).
>
> I don't know about you, but I find it quite reassuring to be able to
> confirm that the first half of an install is going pretty well when I
> get to see the "useless" dummy page from Apache.

I also find the empty default placeholder very useful.  I wouldn't
call it useless at all.

There are no security issues.  I see no resource differences since if
it wasn't intended to be used then it shouldn't have been installed.

Also, I am often hosting some service in a subdirectory.  No top level
page is needed.  I often have no reason to modify that top level page
ever and leave it unchanged.  The service hosted in a subdirectory
continues independently.

If things were changed to force users to create a dummy top level page
and enable the server then it would add additional required work over
what is done now.

> The RedHat assumptions on this issue make me as unhappy as the Debian
> ones appear to make you unhappy.  I suggest that this is just a matter
> of taste.

Agreed.  Strongly!

Bob