Re: Apport for Debian

On 05/13/2013 03:06 PM, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> 1) Duplicate bug reports: There are high possibilities that we could see
> a sudden increase in the number of bug reports, many duplicates. This is
> something I'm not sure how we want to evaluate. We could give apport a
> try, and leave it to the users to be more conscious when hitting submit.
I think that Apport is a very good idea, though I really wouldn't like
to receive so many duplicates. I had experience it with one of my
package in Ubuntu, and it was quite annoying.

Maybe it would be possible to fix that at the BTS level, if it sees
some kind of tags from Apport? (just trowing an idea... not sure if
it is doable / desirable). Perhaps with a way to inform the BTS that
we don't want to receive emails from Apport, rather than having to
upload a new version of the package to do so? That would be IMO
better, because it would be not realistic to upload just for that
reason in the stable release.

I would still consider it very valuable to receive such bug reports,
even with many duplicates.

Cheers, and thanks for your effort,

Thomas