Re: Temporary solution for changelog problem in binNMUs

On Mon, 2013-05-13 at 18:04:58 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 13. Mai 2013, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > The only thing the metadata solution would need now, is changing
> > packaging helper, all packages not using a helper, and changelog and
> > copyright extractors to look first in the new place, and fallback to
> > the old one for backwards compatibility.
>
> that will only take four years or so.

Even if that was to be the case (!?), that still seems better than the
alternatives. Either not doing anything because it might seem to be too
much work (build-arch/indep), or doing the wrong thing and having to
revert because now things expect the new behavior (defualt build flags),
just to name two “recent” examples, might imply a decade for example
(either close or in excess).

In any case I've written before about this recurring tension in the
project when it comes to global changes:

  <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/02/msg00633.html>

Thanks,
Guillem