Re: encrypted popcon submissions

* Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>, 2013-05-10, 22:44:
On Fri, 10 May 2013, Bill Allombert wrote:

I am considering activating encryption of popularity-contest submissions using public key cryptography to protect popcon submission while in transit.

I think encrypting popcon submissions in an excellent idea. Thanks for working on this. :)

Do you think the benefits outweight the drawback that the admin no longer can be certain we don't send anything we shouldn't?

Your popcon submission is stored in /var/log/popularity-contest, unencrypted. If you don't believe it's the only data that is sent to the popcon server, you can read the fine source (it's <400 lines of code). I don't suppose any of these is going to change.

What other kind of "certainty" did you have in mind?

--
Jakub Wilk