Re: Changing the default document root for HTTP server

Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> writes:

> Unless I'm missing something there is no better location for HTTP
> documents mentioned within the FHS. Note /srv can't be used either as no
> path hierarchy is specified for /srv (e.g. think of /srv/www) and we
> really do not want to serve the entire /srv hierarchy as a document root
> either.

I'd like us to consider switching to /var/lib/www for FHS compliance.
This does have the significant drawback of breaking backward compatibility
to at least some extent, but it's FHS-compliant (or at least is as good as
we're going to get for a default).  One option for dealing with the
backward compatibility issue is to create a one-time symlink from /var/www
to /var/lib/www (and move /var/www if it already exists) during upgrade
but not on new installs and then just leave it.