Re: Patch Tagging Guidelines: DEP-3 moved to ACCEPTED status

Le Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 09:12:16AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :

> You're not the DEP5 driver

Hi Lars and everybody,

I am driving this DEP and re-listed myself at a driver to mark that fact.

To summarise:

 - The original idea, from Sam Hocevar, was posted on this list on August 4,
   2007.

 - A draft was written collaboratively on the wiki until March 2009, in
   which I had my share of contributions.

 - I do not remember who was the first to suggest to make a DEP out of it, but
   please note revision 294: I am the one to propose it in the wiki page.

 - The DEP was started in private, motivated in part by Ubuntu's agenda.  It
   was a terrible mistake for me to accept this, as it resulting in purging
   and demotivating most of the original contributors.  Nevertheless, I did
   a large—or perhaps the largest—share of that work in that phase.

 - The DEP continued in public, and the only moment where I gave up driving
   this project was when you stepped in.  It made tremendous progresses under
   your direction; unfortunately you stepped down in the last mile.  I dare saying
   that I contributed a lot.  Among other things did the conversion to DocBook
   which has let the DEP enter in the debian-policy package, and made sure that
   the DEP's license short names are compatible with SPDX.

 - In a further phase, I organised the work through the BTS.  Consensus
   was reached and the DEP was updated accordingly.  I also coordinated
   the publication of the DEP on www.debian.org.  At the next upload
   of the debian-policy package, the DEP will be on line at its canonical

 - In this final phase, I am making sure that there is no objection anymore to
   the release.  And I will not let the momentum slip for one more year.

More importantly than the procedural details: I have followed the work
from its beginning, made sure that no contribution was ignored, and that
most questions were answered.  To the best of my free time, I made sure
that past discussions were not forgotten and taken into account when
the same questions were asked over and over the years.

This is what I expect from a driver: being the memory of the project, keeping
momentum, and making consensus on the final document.  I am driving this DEP.
One can argue forever on this, but please let me suggest that the best way
to close the debate is to finish that work.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan