Re: Feedback

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> Evidently the historical practice has changed recently.  I stand
> corrected.  Thanks.  The /etc/debian_version file, however, does not
> give a release number, and probably won't, until wheezy becomes the
> stable release.  It currently simply says, "wheezy/sid".

I believe that's because *unstable* understandably doesn't have a
meaningful version number, and base-files, like every other package, is
updated via unstable until the very end of the freeze.  If I remember from
past releases, branching base-files in testing from unstable to add a
version number is one of the last changes we make before we release.