Re: staged freeze

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> what do you think about staged freeze for Debian, for wheezy+1 maybe?

> ( Bikeshedding alert! http://bikeshed.com )

> First stage, freeze only essential+important, low level packages
> Second stage, freeze all libraries with more then one dependency
> Third stage, freeze all non-leaf packages
> Fourth stage, freeze everything

We did that for a previous release (I think it was lenny).  It's more
complex for the release team and doesn't seem to have any substantial
effect on the nature of the release process than just freezing everything
at once.  Mostly, it just creates a whole new set of arguments over what
goes into what stage.