Re: Contributor agreements and copyright assignment

On 2012-12-04 12:42:33 -0800 (-0800), Russ Allbery wrote:
[...]
> The main issue for some of us is not so much the ethical
> objections to these sorts of agreements but rather the fact that
> our employers flatly are not interested in signing anything of the
> sort, ever, with anyone. Much of my free software work is done as
> part of my day job, and my employer is unwilling to sign any of
> these agreements (but is fine with me releasing my work under free
> software licenses).

Conversely, my job is to contribute to and support development
effort on particular free software projects, so I am releasing what
is essentially my employer's work for hire product of my own accord.
In this case the CLA they've signed on my behalf serves as a notice
in writing that they're aware of the arrangement, as well as a
guarantee against them claiming copyright infringement by the
projects to whom I am contributing.
--
{ WHOIS( STANL3-ARIN ); WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ );
FINGER( fungi@yuggoth.org ); IRC( fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );