Re: Contributor agreements and copyright assignment

On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 05:49:43PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The answer, as it happens, is the very terms of the FSF's copyright
> assignment, which ensures the work remains available under a copyleft
> license.  *That* is the gold standard for copyright assignment, by which
> other copyright assignments should be measured, not by whether the
> counterparty is a for-profit or non-profit corporation.

Right. But the discussions on whether the recipient of CAA/CLAs is good
or evil (or those on the features of those agreements, FWIW) miss the
main issue that we should have with them, I think.

Back when I was collecting feedback about the Debian/FSF relationship
for the GNU Hackers Meeting 2011, I received various comments from
fellow Debian developers who refuse to maintain GNU software for which
CAA/CLA were required. That's the crux of the issue for us: *mandatory*
CAA/CLAs force Debian maintainers to either bow to them, or renounce
pushing Debian changes back upstream --- something which is quite
against our culture.

Understandably, people might not like either option and will therefore
simply refuse to maintain CAA/CLA encumbered software in Debian. The net
result is a smaller public of potential Debian maintainers for a given
software.  That "damage" might be lower or higher depending on the
perception of "evilness" of the recipient, or depending on the features
that the relevant CAA/CLAs offer. But is not zero, unless the CAA/CLAs
are optional, as it happens for KDE.

IMO that is what we should worry about before adopting as a rather
foundational part of the Debian OS something that requires mandatory
CAA/CLA.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .