Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 09:45:58PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Marco Nenciarini <mnencia@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Il giorno gio, 11/10/2012 alle 02.46 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer ha
> > scritto:
> >>
> >> On the other hand, some worries are there that this could imply some
> >> decline in Debian itself.
> >> Well I still think Debian is the best distro out there for most (if not
> >> all cases), even though I'd like to see it putting more emphasis on
> >> security.
> >
> > I've seen recently several company I'm working with getting away from
> > Debian in favor of Ubuntu because they have a LTS version. However I
> > don't know if this is a general trend.
>
> I can confirm the trend for a couple of organisations.  The primary
> reason that I identified was the retirement of security support for
> Lenny and that Lenny packages are removed from many Debian mirrors which
> made it difficult to use Lenny machines.  IMHO, supporting an OS release
> for only 3 years is not long enough.

FWIW, it should be noted Ubuntu only supports most packages for 3 years
as well. The subset of packages considered for "Server" support is
supported for 5, but most people will suggest you follow the LTS upgrade
path, which is very similar to Debian Stable's.

My 2 cents.