Storing additional metadata in the dpkg database [Re: possible mass bug filing for packages shipping stuff in /var/run, /var/lock, /run?]

On 08.10.2012 20:15, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:33 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> "Packages must not include files or directories under /run,
>> or under the older /var/run and /var/lock paths."
> The thing is that it really does no harm if a package actually does
> this; although it is pretty pointless since those files will be gone

I actually find it pretty handy if I can use dpkg -S to find out which
package a particular directory belongs to.
So shipping the directory in the package does have some value (at least
for me).

aba rightfully pointed out, that having a mechanism in dpkg which allows
one to register such a directory in the dpkg database dynamically, might
be an even better approach.

Such a mechanism could not only be used to register such volatile
files/directories in (/var)/run or /lock but files that are generated by
the maintainer scripts like ucf config files or even ressources like
system users and groups.

universe are pointed away from Earth?