Re: mass bug filing about packages manipulating/deleting shipped files

On 2012-09-18 09:53, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
>> mirror_2.9-62
>>   /usr/share/doc/mirror/mirror.txt.gz
>>   /usr/share/doc/mirror/html/mirror-ref.html
>>   /usr/share/mirror/mirror.pl
>>   /usr/share/mirror/dateconv.pl
>>   /usr/share/mirror/lchat.pl
>>   /usr/share/mirror/lsparse.pl
>>   /usr/share/mirror/ftp.pl
>>   /usr/bin/do_unlinks
>>   /usr/bin/mirror-master
>>   /usr/bin/pkgs_to_mmin

The mirror package applies some patches during postinst to conform with
the license.

Wouldn't it be better to ship the "source" in /usr/share/mirror/source/,
copy these to /var/lib/mirror/ during postinst and apply the patch there
and ship symlinks to /var/lib/mirror/* in /usr/bin, /usr/share/mirror?

> fsl_4.1.9-6
>   /usr/share/fsl/4.1/tcl/tclIndex

smlnj-runtime_110.74-1
  /usr/lib/smlnj/lib/pathconfig

swi-prolog-nox_5.10.4-3
 /usr/lib/swi-prolog/library/INDEX.pl

xine-ui_0.99.7-1
  /var/lib/xine/xine.desktop

These seem to be some state/registry/... files that are updated during
postinst.

What should we do with these? Unfortunately I didn't find a policy
reference that forbids this ...

Andreas