Re: greater popularity of Debian on AMD64?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 06:04:00PM +0100, Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 12:36:36PM -0400, W. Anderson wrote:
> > It is somewhat surprising and a little disappointing that Debian, or any
> > other GNU/Linux distribution would be making statements that, in effect,
> > give great public support to AMD in regard Linux, when the company has
> > for many years been decidedly ambivalent and generally uncooperative
> > towards the Linux community, particularly in cooperation with Microsoft
> > in their negative attitudes and /_actions _/toward Free/Open Source
> > Software communities.
> >

> Hi Wendell,
>
> Please see http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/ - amd64 refers to the
> architecture which includes both AMD and Intel.

I've previously requested that various user-facing references to
'i386' and 'amd64' should be changed to the hopefully more
understandable '32-bit PC' and '64-bit PC', with some success.  Please
could the publicity team try to follow this convention in future
press/publicity material?

(amd64 can run on current Macs, which are marketed as not-a-PC, but
I don't think there's much point mentioning that until we make it
easier to install on them.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings