Depends: hicolor-icon-theme: shouldn't it be Recommends: instead?

  Abstract

	The non-data packages currently having an absolute dependency on
	hicolor-icon-theme should consider downgrading it to Recommends:
	at the least.  The list, and the explanation, are below.

  Chapter I
  imagemagick

	Recently, Depends: hicolor-icon-theme was added to the
	imagemagick's control file, which triggered my curiosity: does
	it provide something that wasn't needed (or was missed) by the
	previous versions of the package, but is strictly necessary to
	run the newer ones?

	Indeed, it doesn't.

	To prove it, I've made a trivial control file for
	equivs-build(1):

--cut: k1o7mjuxokuwghktzugfno8qib.ctl --
Package: k1o7mjuxokuwghktzugfno8qib
Provides: hicolor-icon-theme
 A dummy package pretending to provide hicolor-icon-theme.
--cut: k1o7mjuxokuwghktzugfno8qib.ctl --

	Having hicolor-icon-theme removed and this one installed, I've
	proceeded to install imagemagick.  Unsurprisingly, I've found
	/no/ issues with either installing or running it.  (I've tried
	display(1), but I'm quite sure that there won't be any issues
	with convert(1), either.)

  Chapter II
  A few packages more

	Well, I've wondered, is this a singular issue with Depends:
	hicolor-icon-theme, somehow creeped into Debian Wheezy “just
	prior” to its scheduled release?

	Indeed, it isn't.

	I've examined the reverse dependencies of hicolor-icon-theme:

$ apt-cache rdepends  --no-suggests --no-recommends \
      hicolor-icon-theme
hicolor-icon-theme
Reverse Depends:
  viridian
  tango-icon-theme
  synaptic
  rabbitvcs-core
  perlpanel
  oxygen-icon-theme
  openteacher
  kdelibs5-data
  imagemagick
  gnome-phone-manager
  gnome-icon-theme-symbolic
  gnome-icon-theme-extras
  gnome-icon-theme
  flush
  d-feet
$

	Well, it doesn't seem suspicious for anything *-icon-* and
	*-data to depend on an icon theme, but what about the rest?

	For a start, I've omitted rabbitvcs-core and viridian, and
	considered d-feet, flush, openteacher, perlpanel, and synaptic.
	Unsurprisingly, all of them were able to install and run, but
	while openteacher is seemingly unaffected by the absence of the
	data in question, the rest have had obvious issues: almost all
	of the icons were absent, resulting in blank space on the GUI,
	missing controls, and warnings to stderr (stdout?)

  Conclusion

	Since there're (as it seems) virtually no issues with running
	imagemagick without a “real” hicolor-icon-theme installed, my
	suggestion would be to downgrade the dependency to Suggests: (or
	Recommends:, if there's some point I've missed.)

	As for the other packages considered, my suggestion would be to
	downgrade the dependencies to Recommends: (or, for openteacher,
	to Suggests:, if it's indeed unaffected.)

	Unless there'd be any objections, I'll consider filing a bug
	against imagemagick, and perhaps the other aforementioned
	packages as well.

  Post Scriptum

	Curiously enough, the only “application” package having a
	Recommends: dependency on hicolor-icon-theme is cheese.

--
FSF associate member #7257	http://sf-day.org/