Re: Recommends for metapackages

On 12-07-10 at 06:34pm, Abou Al Montacir wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 18:10 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > The very purpose of a meta-package is to _ensure_ that a certain set
> > of packages is installed, not just recommend them: All (not only
> > most) users of that package need all its dependencies satisfied -
> > those that don't should simply uninstall the meta-package.
>
> Exactly! And as confirmation see below you will see gnome recommending
> and even suggesting, which is probably fine:

[lots of more or less unrelated package dependencies snipped]

> The most logical is that gnome-core does not depend on
> network-manager-gnome but the gnome package do. Indeed, experienced
> users will install gnome-core and select the rest manually.

I disagree: Looking at the many other dependencies of gnome-core, it
clearly isn't meant as "smallest possible GNOME setup" but more
"essential parts of what the upstream GNOME project has to offer" - as
its package description also clearly reflects.

When I want "smallest possible GNOME setup" i install gnome-session.

 - Jonas