Re: Handling of changelogs and bin-nmus
- To: Andreas Barth <email@example.com>, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Philipp Kern <email@example.com>, Aron Xu <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: Re: Handling of changelogs and bin-nmus
- From: Raphael Hertzog <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:09:57 +0200
- Message-id: <20120612110957.GB31681@rivendell.home.ouaza.com>
- Mail-followup-to: Andreas Barth <email@example.com>, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Philipp Kern <email@example.com>, Aron Xu <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <20120612104757.GA23011@gaara.hadrons.org>
- References: <20120608220702.23981.4158.reportbug@r-desktop-testsystem> <CAMr=8w7SWXrLkGoH7tAoY7CAbS4LvwyHFPM9ZgL4t9AubnmdNA@mail.gmail.com> <CAMr=8w63_9zA3m1H726xEOFBknYdhyThd+XkoFVB_C1+Q77Aqw@mail.gmail.com> <20120608221752.GA22400@spike.0x539.de> <20120609003040.GA13316@khazad-dum.debian.net> <20120609132606.GX2385@mails.so.argh.org> <20120610080128.GA8470@gaara.hadrons.org> <20120610124028.GE21737@rivendell.home.ouaza.com> <20120612104757.GA23011@gaara.hadrons.org>
On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > This allows us to get rid of the special-casing of bin-nmu in dpkg where
> > we only support one extension (+bX).
> > We have many other cases where it would be helpful to be able to do such
> > binary-only rebuild in different environments and where it might be
> > interesting to share the same source package.
> If the main purpose of this is to generalize the binNMU versioning
> syntax then instead of entangling these different issues I think it's
> way better to mark the changelog entry as such, so that there's actual
> generic metadata that can be used by the tools, that does not need to
> change the debian/changelog interface, neither modify other possible
> parsers to look into different files, etc.
OK, that looks a reasonable approach for this need. But then it doesn't
help with the short term problem of bin-nmus and changelogs.
We don't have many solutions, and none is perfect. They should all be
considered as temporary measures until we have implemented storage of
changelog in control.tar.gz:
1/ we modify dpkg to ignore differences on /usr/share/doc/*/changelog.*gz
for multi-arch: same packages
2/ we modify dh_installchangelogs to strip the entries marked
"binary-only" for packages which are multi-arch same
(this doesn't help packages that are not using debhelper
but it's probably not a big deal)
> I've just cooked code to support this in dpkg, an example entry could
> look like this (the binary-only key could be named something else):
Can you push your preliminary code to your personal repo? I'd be
interested to complete the work if you don't have the time.
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer
Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook: