Claiming the "debian" account on GitHub ? (was: Re: Packaging on GitHub ?)

Thanks to everybody for your answers on debian-devel and in private.  I am
moving the thread to debian-project (CC: -devel and DPL) as the next question
is about the use of Debian's name.

I am considering to ask GitHub if the debian account there is held by a
debian.org address, and if not, whether they could transfer it to a Debian
developer (me), who would set it up as a group open to host mirror copies of
Debian source packages when their maintainer has interest to do so.

Stefano, do you (as DPL) feel comfortable with this ?  Or given the
non-freeness of GitHub, would you prefer that there is no official presence of
Debian there ?

I do not know why developers prefer GitHub over Gitorious or other providers.
But I note that even gitlabhq, advertised on this list for its free license,
has its main download link pointing to GitHub...

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,