Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> There's nothing intrinsically non-portable about the systemd
> socket-based activation scheme.  It's just all the cgroups and other
> stuff on top of that that's the problem.  And the attitude of the
> upstream maintainer towards portability.  Has anyone investigated
> exactly how hard it would be to port?  If it's reasonably simple,
> we could just carry those patches in Debian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openssh#Development_and_structure

# OpenSSH is developed as part of the OpenBSD operating system. Rather than
# including changes for other operating systems directly into OpenSSH, a
# separate portability infrastructure is maintained by the OpenSSH Portability
# Team and "portable releases" are made periodically. This infrastructure is
# substantial

It has been demonstrated that having an upstream without the necessary patches
isn't an obstacle.  The fact that the OpenSSH Portability Team is closely
associated with the main OpenBSD developers is convenient and obscures some of
the issues from outside observers.  But it seems quite plausible that a
"Portability Team" could be established for any other project.

Carrying patches in Debian would not be ideal.  It would be better if such
patches could be maintained by people who have broader interests.  I'm sure
that not all the people who are interested in systemd features on a *BSD
kernel are in Debian.