Re: Enabling package installation for non-root users

2012/2/23 Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors@iki.fi>:
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
>> (We even have a patch to allow only a subset of packages but it is
>> unfortunately a bit too hackish.)
>
> Would be really nice to have some standard sets available (think
> "browser extensions", "command-line tools that ship no services or suid
> binaries"). I'd certainly let my desktop users install these without
> having to ask me or having to install them manually to their $HOME..

It would be even better to talk to the PackageKit team for
standardization ;-) (We're already working on this to support some
APTd features (Fix broken package DB for example) - most other things
are already present.)
You can change the PK settings using PolicyKit. Limiting installations
to a group of packages is not possible at time. (and not planned -
what if a package in group X requires a package of group Y? Users
could easily work around this limitation by creating a dummy package
in group X which pulls in the package from group Y, which they want.)
Cheers,
   Matthias Klumpp