Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On 02/22/2012 02:56 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2012, at 7:23 PM, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>

>> On 02/21/2012 08:06 PM, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
>>
>>> If I understand correctly, the current Ubuntu version 1.4-0ubuntu8
>>> works perfectly for Debian. Is there any reason to not upload this
>>> version to Debian?
>>>

>> I always wondered: what's the point in having upstart in
>> Debian, when we don't really use it?
>>
> Debian has a history for providing a variety of packages with similar functionality and leave the choice up to the user.

In what way do we have a choice as a user?
1/ upstart Conflicts: with sysvinit.
2/ none of our (providing daemon) packages carry an upstart
script (of course, because if they did, they would depend on
upstart, which breaks everything because of 1/).

So our users have basically no choice. It's not only pretty useless,
to have upstart in Debian, but it breaks everything when it installs!
I'd even be tempted to fill a bug report with severity critical:
"makes unrelated software on the system (or the whole system) break"

Because if you install upstart in a Debian system (that is,
not a derivative, really Debian), it does break the whole system.

So again, what's the point in having upstart in Debian?

Thoughts anyone?

Thomas