Re: proposed new pseudo-package 'debian-mentors' for handling sponsoring requests

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:59:14PM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> SUMMARY
> =======
>
> We plan to ask for the creation of a new pseudo-package
> debian-mentors or mentors.debian.org [3] (contact:
> debian-mentors@lists.debian.org) in Debian's bug tracking system (the
> name is still subject to change). A workflow for handling sponsoring
> requests is proposed below. It is based on an earlier discussion on the
> debian-mentors list[1].

This is a really smart, simple and good idea to use the BTS. I sometimes just
keep the RFS packages which get no replies marked as unread in mutt for keeping
a track on this and try to help people (not that much recently, duties in real
life don't give that much time for me), but if this idea gets to be implemented
I am sure we'll have a better panorama of the packages that need to be uploaded.

On the other hand I found just great the REVIEWING packages section. This is
a key for attracting more contributors, because the sponsoring process can be
really frustrating sometimes. In addition, the confirmed tag is really nice
because it allows others with no upload rights to start doing revisions and that
will facilitate (in some cases of course) the work of the ones who have upload
rights and will help themselves because they will learn more about the Debian
Policy.

I know my mail does not contribute in some sense to this proposal, but I just
felt the *need* of writing how great I found it.

On the other hand, I don't find as a hassle the fact that sponsors have to close
the reports manually.

> DRIVERS
> =======
>
> Ansgar Burchardt