Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

Marco d'Itri wrote:

> In this case, it has been made repeatedly clear by the upstream
> maintainers that they have no desire to accept code to support this and
> other things.

_If_ upstream is taking the stance that portability to other platforms
is something they want nothing to do with, then that's fine.  Each
developer is free to work on what she finds useful.  It just means
that one has to find some other way to cooperate with others
interested in portability patches.

I don't think this phenomenon is in any way unique to udev.  E.g., if
I remember correctly then core (OpenBSD) OpenSSH development and
portable OpenSSH are maintained as distinct projects.

> (Often, the same code was actually removed from the package.)

BTW, thanks for your work, and I don't mean to imply that the choices
you are advocating are bad ones.  Just that I'd find proposals
justified on technical grounds more convincing than acting helpless
and claiming we are at the mercy of an upstream that is not willing to
listen.

Sincerely,
Jonathan