Re: some suggestions towards a Debian .desktop policy [Was: Warm up discussion about desktop files]

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 06:05:20PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
You’re missing something. A menu that “shows everything” is unusable.
The Debian menu is a very good example of that kind of problem.

I think this depends on the number of entries. If you have a high number you’re right. When I used Enlightenment years ago I had sometimes troubles to scroll through certain menu points, because there were so many items.

You could solve this problem by creating more submenus (e.g. A B C). Or you can try to show only certain items. Both cases can confuse users (I installed package xy, why can’t I find it in the menu?).

I don’t know what XFCE does now, but I use mostly the shell to start applications, because I don’t want to look through to menu only to find out that someone thought I shouldn’t see the application.

Happy Eastern!

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz             E-Mail: stse@fsing.rootsland.net |