Re: System users: removing them

Lars Wirzenius writes ("Re: System users: removing them"):
> Thus, I propose to change 9.2.2 "UID and GID classes", the paragraph on
> uids in the range 100-999, to add the following sentence to the end of
> the paragraph:
>
>         Packages must not remove system users and groups they have
>         created.

But shouldn't we say they _must_ lock package-specific system users
and groups when the package is removed ?

In which case, we need packages to still call deluser (as most do) and
deluser to do the right thing.  I think we should sort this out before
changing policy, so we know what it is package maintainers are
supposed to do.

Ian.