Re: time based freezes

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 08:38:18AM +0200, Carsten Hey wrote:
> The release team did again a great job the past release cycle and
> managed to release again a version Debian can be proud of :)  There were
> of course things that could be done even better next time, but handling
> such a enormous task without such issues seems to be impossible.

The release team has done good work during the freeze.  However, I
cannot agree with the overall assessment of this release cycle.  The
announcement of time-based freezes, followed by the rapid retraction
and further discussion, was farcical.  The apparent result was that
no-one really believed in any stated freeze date, and many packages
were unready when the freeze really did begin.

> One thing that the release team already is improving is communication,
[...]

I do agree with this.  I have no complaints about communication
during the freeze.

By the way, as a member of the kernel team I was consulted directly by
the release team regarding readiness of the Linux kernel packages
before some of the release decisions.  I appreciate that but I believe
that consultation should be opened to the entire developer base before
any final decisions.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings