Re: Debian Policy "10.7.4 Sharing configuration files" question

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:

> On a different, although similar issue, how would a change of
> /etc/inittab in a maintainer script be regarded?  (I’m considering it
> for gdm3 in wheezy.)

Policy indicates that if other packages should be able to modify
/etc/inittab, sysvinit should provide a script that does those
modifications.  Such a script should, at least on first glance, be
reasonably straightforward for the sorts of modifications I suspect people
will want to make (just adding or removing lines).  That would help the
runit situation as well.

When doing this sort of thing, though, please don't assume that there will
be an /etc/inittab or that sysvinit will necessarily be installed, since
we want to enable sysadmins to choose upstart or systemd or some other
init system in the future.