Re: Advocating the use of RDF for Debian's published metadata - Was: Re: Proposal for additional metadata in Debian archives (DEP-11)

Le Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 05:49:12PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp a écrit :

> For us, it is necessary that APT can process this data (will be
> implemented if DEP-11 can make it) and that parts of it can be written
> into a Xapian-DB for fast searching. - Both would work perfectly well
> with any format.
>
> It would be very nice, if ftpmasters could tell if they would accept a
> new format in the archive or if we should stay with  RFC822 which is
> used for nearly everything else already.

Dear Matthias,

I am still not sure to understand how the data will be used.  Is it only to be
used via Internet ?  In that case perhaps it is not needed to distribute it via
the Debian archive.  What is the Debian-specific data ?  If it is the
association between a FreeDesktop menu “.desktop” file and a package name,
there is already a file in the Debian archive that provides this.  Then, a
repository of the contents of FreeDesktop menu entries would definitely be
valuable, especially if served semantically, but as it would not contain data
specific to Debian, wouldn't it be better to develop it with less ties to the
Debian archive ?  That would be a great contribution from Debian to the the
rest of the Free software ecosystem.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy