Re: Announcing derivatives patches and call for help and feedback

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:

> I'm glad you liked it. ubuntudiff¹ was made exactly to show this kind of
> data. Currently, all ubuntudiff needs to produce html pages in some file
> listing source package names and associated patches. So, nothing is really
> bound to patches.ubuntu.com, except the syntax of (the equivalent of)
> sources.patches.

Ok great. I can output different formats for the patch index if needed
and indeed I will need to be generating a set of global indices, which
doesn't exist at the moment.

> It is easy to set up an ubuntudiff instance for each set of derivative
> patches, but I guess some changes have to be implemented to have a unified
> interface for all those derivatives (i.e. all patches accessible from a
> single place).

Indeed that would be required.

> Current ubunutdiff uses grep-dctrl to select a list of packages. I think
> that people don't like that much, and they usually find it not easy to
> use. We will have to think about a better interface.

Personally I don't have much experience with grep-dctrl so that
interface is not that useful to me.

IIRC UbuntuDiff has a URL interface too which services like
DDportfolio or the PTS use or could use.

> About source code, it is written in OCaml. I realize that OCaml is not the
> best candidate if we want people to contribute patches (or even have a
> look at the code) :) It depends on who wants to contribute here. I'm open
> to suggestions…
>
> A nice feature that I'd like to keep is visualisation of patches by hunk…
> this will require a parser to read unified diffs.
>
> In any case, I'd be happy to help here to implement and setup this new
> service.

I'm personally not able to read/write OCaml but if you are willing to
implement the features needed for derivatives stuff then

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise