Re: RFC: Making mail-transport-agent Priority: optional

Hello Josh Triplett,

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:02:11PM +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 05:34:52 +0200, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > >   For most users, these questions will duplicate the process
> > >   they later go through to configure their MUA.
> > . o O (simply because these MUAs do not use the local sendmail)
> Few MUAs even have that option.  And why should they, when they can talk
> directly to the user's mail server rather than to a local MTA acting as
> intermediary and passing mails to the user's mail server?  More
> importantly, MUAs assume (correctly) that most local MTAs don't
> necessarily know how to send external mail, if they exist at all.

But if you do not use the local MTA, you have to configure  EACH  client
manualy...  and if you have more then one ISP or Smarthosts,  it  become
worse!  Most MUA which support SMTP can not route correctly.

> "other things are worse" is not an argument against dropping
> exim4-daemon-light from standard. :)

Right, we should use "courier-mta" instead!  ;-)

> That's a problem, not a feature.  logrotate exists to make sure the disk
> doesn't fill with logs; no such mechanism exists to make sure the disk
> doesn't fill with mails.  One of many reasons to log rather than sending
> mail.  And having two independent logging mechanisms seems suboptimal at
> best.

Normaly mail to <root> are forwarded to the <user> of the system.

Or do you wan to say, that exim does not forward the mail to the user?

If I am right, all MTAs ask, to which user the <root> mails  schould  be
forwarded.  If you disable forwarding of mail you have broken the system
yourself.

> Would you object less if cron had an option to log to syslog instead of
> sending mail, and used that option automatically if it didn't find a
> sendmail?

Ehm?  Cron is loging since more then 12 years to syslog...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>
                  <http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems@tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239