Re: kFreeBSD debian-installer in Xen domU [Was: (Re: A few observations about systemd)]

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:04:03AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Producing a Linux d-i image which worked in a domU was reasonably
> easy (assuming a suitable kernel flavour exists in the archive),
> if you are interested in doing the same for kFreeBSD I'd be more
> than happy to give some guidance/pointers etc.

At the risk of drifting off topic a bit, I expect this would be a
welcomed update to the Xen topic on the kFreeBSD wiki page. Once
it's bootstrapped into a working root FS, the current kernel
packages have sufficient support baked in these days so it's just a
matter of having a working installer now.

> Presumably, given the necessary host hardware support, you could also
> have installed as an HVM guest rather than QEMU and subsequently
> switched to PV kFreeBSD. I'm not sure if FreeBSD has PV in HVM driver
> support or not, I know some of the *BSDs do.

In my current reference implementation, unfortunately not. These
host machines, while consisting of internally highly-redundant
components, employ older Intel Pentium III processors (Compaq
Proliant DL380 G2 series from 8+ years ago).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);